TO BECOME A MEMBER
To become a member of the Membertou Governance Committee please submit a Governance Application Form and letter of request to the Membertou First Nation Chief and Council at:
111 Membertou St.
Membertou First Nation, NS
The Membertou/Maupeltu Governance Committee is comprised of community members, including youth representatives and elder representatives ( with gender equality considerations for youth and Elder positions.) The Council may also appoint others to the committee, as deemed necessary.
The Committee will meet in accordance with the work plan.
The Committee activities, meetings, record of decisions and drafts will be coordinated by the designated Membertou representative.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Membertou/Maupeltu Governance Committee are:
- Attend and participate in all workshops and working sessions;
- Organize and assist in facilitating community information sessions on key decision points related to Membertou laws and codes;
- Develop and implement a communication strategy;
- Develop and implement a ratification plan;
- Consider specific laws and code options and related provisions for the community of Membertou;
- Engage and inform Membertou community members on key decision points related to a proposed Membertou Land and citizenship code;
- Establish the framework and instructions to draft customary laws and codes unique to Membertou;
- Draft a Membertou Land Code; and
- Draft a Membertou Citizenship Code.
The committee will report its discussions to the Chief and Council by written or verbal report.